Thursday, March 7, 2013

Happy Birthday Card for Alex

There's a story behind this card.
 
 
 
My one and only Grandson, Alex, loves music. He's loved it forever and is Majoring in it at college. He is a choral person, sings in the Choir at church,  made All-State Choir, and went to sing at Carnegie Hall his Senior year of HS.
 
So.........when I told his mom that I'd take her to see The Book of Mormon for HER birthday, he could hardly contain himself from waving his hand that "he too" wanted to go for HIS birthday, please!
 
Anyway, long story short, today is his 19th birthday, and we loved the Musical. When I saw this conductor paper in the Graphic 45 collection Curtain Call, it made me think of him, and his dreams of helping people through music.
 
Therefore, I made him this card to remember how we celebrated.
 
 
 
This month the challenge over at the Inspiration Journal is Pop-N-Cuts.
 
I cannot make a simple card to save my SOUL!!! It is literally torture for me. I'm serious.
 
But thanks to Karen Burniston and her wonderful dies, this was fun, and served a purpose as well.
 
I used the Pop n Cuts Base (Card, Horizontal A2 w/ Circle Label 3-D), the Magnetic Insert Die - Label 3-D, and the Frame, Fancy for the inside greeting.
 
 
There are several layers of paper with the tickets, the music score, and the piano keys. The 19, using the film strip countdown, is subtle, but a link to the birthday milestone.
 
I also used the On the Edge - Ornate die to break up the straight and perfect lines of music and keyboards with a different sort of pattern by using the die-cut waste to make the plain brown background jump out even more.
 
 The music paper on the front of the tag is from Tim, the rest are from Graphic 45.
 
Enjoy the Show is stamped using some Mini Alphas.
 
This is my favorite color combination ever...I love using it. The Pop Up conductor just really makes me smile with his baton held high in the air! (Had to cut it off a bit to keep it inside the card, but who cares?)
 
So check out the Inspiration Emporium Add a Little Pop Challenge and enter to win $50 in Emporium Dollars!
 
 
And this is the Bank of America Theatre and the gorgeous stage. We had great seats, but it moved so fast I'd definitely have to see it again to catch all the lines.
 
I know....no photography allowed!
 
Linda
 

14 comments:

Bonnie Irvine said...

This card is awesome. The design, the play of colours and neutrals...very cool. What I love even more are the little details that make it specific to your grandson. What a wonderful keepsake to stay in touch with a lovely celebration. Your grandson sounds like a remarkable young man.

Netty said...

Loving your fabulous music inspired card and am sure your grandson will adore it, so perfect for him. Thank you for showing the photograph of the theatre it looks amazing.
Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

SusanK said...

What a fitting card for Alex! Gorgeous!

Sharon Y said...

Love the card and the story behind it! Happy Birthday to Alex.

Sugar Lump Studios said...

What a fabulous card Linda! I hope Alex has a Happy day!

Kelly said...

Wow, your grandson is awesome, you must be so proud of his talent! I have a daughter the same age!! lol Your card is perfect and I love the style. I really love the inside of it and I bet he will cherish this one!
Hugs Kelly

Lori said...

Love me some pop n cuts! And, add your talent, and this is absolutely fantastic! Nice non picture, too! lol.

Kay Wallace said...

Love, love, love "Curtain Call," Linda--and, here, I love what your have done with it. Such a creative card! Such a fun story to go with it!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Love this card...FUN, and the paper are perfect for a music lover! I love music and musicals too. I haven't seen Book of Mormon, wondered about it though. Awesome card.

Paper Profusion said...

Am glad I have just discovered you Linda. Your creations here are fantastic with fabulous step x steps. Am signed up for lots more inspiration. Thanks so much, Nicola x

Unknown said...

Great piece Lin. Happy Birthday Alex...

Marijane said...

Wish you were my Grandma! Alex is lucky to have such a wonderfully creative, loving Grandma like you!

Farley said...

My music loving and trumpet playing son's 19th birthday is this month also. His birthday request is to see Winton Marsalis next week which we have tickets to see. I think I may have to attempt to CASE your incredible and imaginative card. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Words and Pictures said...

Fabulous use of the papers to create a celebration of a wonderful evening!
Alison x