Sunday, December 9, 2012

Steampunk Earrings

Life is a Journey....enjoy the Ride.
 
How true.  And we've been making Earrings!!!!!
 
I've dabbled in so many different things since I retired. Always loving whatever medium I've chosen at the time.
 
 I LOVE METAL....in all the things I've done...metal has always had it's place.
 
But today I've got to show you the Amazing Work of Britta Haifa...my granddaughter...the oldest.
 
 

These Steampunk Earrings are ones she made for a friend who loves being a bit eccentric and punky.
 

I LOVED THEM! The keys are just too cool for words and the hand...holding the keys to a cell perhaps???
 

And the gorgeous wrapped piece with the dapped disk..what's not to love?
 

Now a certain type of person could only do these justice...a younger gal with longer hair would be perfect...can't wait to see an updated pic, Brit!
 

So proud of you!
 
 

 
These are what I started with...Artisan Copper Discs  that were embossed and dapped with the Wood Dapping Block to make them more interesting. I've become a Dapping Fiend.
 
So fun, and so easy!
 
Thanks to Jess Italia-Lincoln and her insight on this when I ran into her at her mom Trish's new shop in Galena...Rustic River Finds.
 
You must stop in if you're there on Main Street.
 
Love them both!

 
These were my next adventures...the black metal embossed (right) and sanded and polished with the Metal Reliefing Block are really cool. (this Block is a MUST!!!)
 
The Brass Discs are also sanded after being run through the Vagabond with different Deco Emboss Folders from Vintaj.
 
Beads and jewels are added for a bit of color...see the little tiny stars at the end of the finding on the ones with the Moon?  Maybe not....tiny...phone picture. And already wrapped up.
 
 

These are on the Black discs as well, but larger.
 
(Make sure they are the newer discs that are thinner and can bend a bit that you can emboss!!!!)
 
I like to mix my metals for interest and color.
 
Here also is a Brass Chain from Vintaj.
 

And these are my happy accident earrings!
 
I used a silver-colored disc, but it moved on me when I embossed it. So the image was off and it had a line in it where the embossing ended.
 
So I thought, can't ruin it any, run it through again....and then just one more time for kicks!
 
And I liked what I saw...sanded, polished and dapped the other way to make concave.
 
Add some crystals with copper beads and they're kinda fun!
 
I'm so easily amused!!!
 
So get some discs...emboss 'em, pound them with the dapping block (way easy, way fun) and make some presents or keep them for yourself.
 
I can't decide which ones to give and which to keep.....hmmmm.....
 
 
And I'll leave you with this that was the thought for today from Teri Martin.


" Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes.
Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow.
Let reality be reality.
Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like."

Lao Tzu


I'm going with the Flow....
 
Linda

11 comments:

Ann said...

so much eye candy!!!!
gorgeous,wonderful pieces!!!
the steampunk-y earrings are my fav's!!

Jan Hennings said...

So cool!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful that your talent has been passed within the family. The Steampunk earrings are interesting and insightful. She learned from a master!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

OOOO...love all this jewelry. She did good! Those cards are awesome as well...anything metal is the best!

Art By Wanda said...

You both made wonderful earrings!! I love them all!!!

Sharon Y said...

Great earrings from all. Brits steampunky ones are fun. Thanks for sharing.

Marijane said...

I love all the beautiful earrings and the inspirational quote. Sometimes we forget to "go with the flow" and want to resist change, even though life is in constant change. Might as well sit back and enjoy the ride!

Marjie Kemper said...

Oh, Linda, I love Britta's and your art... and that Tzu quote has taken my breath away. Haven't heard that before. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Lori said...

Wow, stunning pieces! Britta's steampunk..well, let's just say I LOVE IT! And your pieces are fab too!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for ѕome other excellent pοst. The place еlѕe may just
anyοne get that kind of info in such an ideal
аpρrοаch of writing?
I hаve a presentаtіon next week, and I'm at the search for such information.
my site: http://musclefactorxreviews.com

Anonymous said...

I have read so many articles or reviews on the topic of the blogger
lovers except this paragraph is really a pleasant paragraph,
keep it up.
My web page :: christian louboutin sale