Friday, March 25, 2011

Embossed Metal Tape Tag Tutorial



Time for a tutorial.  This is the tag I made for SNR a couple of weeks ago. It's based on the piece I created for Ranger's booth at CHA using their new Metal Foil Tape.

It is fantastic to work with!!! And with the Texture Fades and Alcohol Inks....Well, you be the Judge.

Way easy, and Way fun!!!


Supplies you will need:
·         Alcohol Inks and Ink Applicators with Felt of your choice – I used Lettuce, Denim, Wild Plum, and Purple Twilight


 ·         Various Texture Fades plus Artful Dwellings, Tattered Florals and On the Fence Dies– Tim Holtz Alterations

·         Gold Acrylic Paint Dabber, Metal Foil Tape, Jet Black Archival Ink,  Manila Tag, and Glossy Accents from Ranger

·         Fine Grit Sanding Block and Distress Tool


·         Stamps of your choice – I used Elegant Ledger from Stampington for background

·         Chipboard, Pop Dots, Ribbons, Rhinestone Brad, White Pen, Embossing Machine-I used   the new Vagabond


Here we go!
 

I start with 3 different dies from Tim. The On the Fence, the Tattered Florals and the new Artful Dwellings. 

Here I cut the fence out of thick chipboard and added Picket Fence Crackle Paint. Set aside to dry. Trim to width of tag.



Next I cut the tall skinny house out and added a piece of Kraft Resist Paper Stash. Glue to the bottom and trim. I added Rusty Hinge Distress Ink to edges. Add white pen dots and a stamped image as you like.

I took a large Manila Tag #8 and added Distress Inks Dusty Concord, Chipped Sapphire, and Broken China. A bit of Black Soot over the distressed edges makes the colors pop.

The stamp is Elegant Ledger from Stampington & Company stamped it twice with Jet Black Archival Ink...(couldn't live without that ink)




Cut a piece of metal and emboss it with the Texture Fades Damask. I have the Vagabond and it's a dream to work with...I'm just sayin'.

Using the the Ink Applicator and felt apply alcohol inks of several colors. Let dry and add a 2nd layer. This creates back washes of patterns that are very cool! 


Sand off top layer with fine grade sand paper or leave as is. I also use a brush to add ink into the crevasses where I can't get the color I want.



Lay the metal face down on worktable and peal off backing paper. Lay tape over top part of house at roof level. Trim edges and add ribbon trim.

I like to add the house to black heavy chipboard and cut out 1/8" all around.


Add the tape to Grungepaper, die cut with Tattered Florals die, emboss, and add Alcohol Inks as before. Use Distress Inks on the backs.



Curl and pinch the flower petals and layer up with a Rhinestone brad.



Add glossy accents to back of Fragment and glue to vintage picture. Let dry. Cut around edges and add Chain Tassel with a jump ring. (I trimmed mine here a tiny bit)

Add with pop dots to the house.


Use Gold Metallic Paint Dabber to add a light dab of paint to the black Ransom Letters.

Now we're ready to assemble!!!

Glue the house to the tag with peak slightly above the top. Add more white pen dots.

Use pop dots to add the fence and flower.  Add the letters down the side.

Tie 2 ribbons to the tag top and you're done!

Hope you enjoyed this project. Let me know what you think, and if you make one, we'll share!

Linda


32 comments:

Martha Richardson said...

You make it look so easy...I love that tag!

Pam said...

Gorgeous Linda, I love the flower!!

Shelly Hickox said...

Wow! So many great ideas on one tag. Love the Fragment, flowers...everything. Fantastic piece!

Shannon said...

OMG, love, love, love it!!! You are so incredibly talented it's crazy. I get such inspiration from each of your blog postings. I love what you do with al the metal. I would love to try my hand at metal art but I can barely afford the supplies I get now much less starting on metal. Thank you so much for sharing your stunning artwork with all of us.

Vic said...

Fantastic!!

Helen said...

Great tut, Linda and I have a lot of these things on my shopping list for our next show in the UK on 9th April so I'll get back to you!!

misteejay said...

Thank you for sharing - it is a lovely tag and the colours are beautiful.

Toni :o)

cheryl said...

oh wow hun what an amazing piece of art,just love that metal,and the inks,really make it pop just amazing,hugs cheryl xxxx

Netty said...

Terrific tag Linda and a smashing tutorial, so concise. Loving all the different materials you've used. Have a great weekend, Annette x

Elaine A said...

Linda -

I'm going to age myself and quote Shirley Temple "Oh my Goodness!" This is just magnificent and I love it. Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial with us.

Elaine Allen

Createology said...

Your tag is amazing and it is so very nice of you to share your techniques. Thank you...

Susan said...

Absolutely gorgeous!
Susan

Sue McGettigan said...

Looks like a ton of fun Linda, love the AI colors on the embossed metal, lovely!!

Lori said...

Love the tag, and the tutorial! Love all the different products you used, and the different techs... beautiful!

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Ah you. You make it sound and look so easy! But I get lost just reading the names of the materials! You are such a talent and such a joy to visit and I always leave with 50 things on my "gonna look for that" stuff list and 50more to my "gonna try that" list.

Hope you are well, my dear friend, Linda and hope your spring is shaping up nicely - warm and sunny and full of joy.
marsha

SusanK said...

Love it, love it, love it!!!

Daniele said...

easey peasey.....lol well it is for you, I love the inspirational tutorial the flower is awesome
hugs

Gio said...

UAU!! it's a great piece of art! thanks for sharing with us!

Lynne Forsythe said...

GIRL......you sure do know how to ROCK MY WORLD!!! A~MAZING as ALWAYS!!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

this is stunning Linda! what gorgeous colors, textures and images! awesome art m'dear!

Sharon said...

Love love this tag! You are THE Tag Queen! Thanx for sharing!

Kathy Eddy said...

Wow, fantastic tag! Now I am sooooo much more anxious for my preordered, not to be released until next month, dweelings die to arrive here. This is wonderful use of it. I love alcohol inks anyway and you used such oerfect color combos here.

Debby said...

Beautiful tag! Can't wait for the house die to come out. Thanks for sharing with us.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous !

Candy C said...

Okay....so....WOW!!! That is a gorgeous tag! After I finish cleaning up my studio..I'm going to make it messy again by trying this tag! It's wonderful! Thanks for sharing! <3 Candy

Minxy said...

Awesome piece, loving that background and the embossed metal :D

Meme said...

I love all the different elements in this tag. All of them great.

I can not wait to get a hold of a lot of the new Tim stuff. I have not had much luck finding some of it.

I think I will have to order online, since I can not find local.
I like to support the local shops, but sometimes its rally hard to wait.

Art By Wanda said...

LOVE this Linda!!! And the tutorial is wonderful!!! Thank you!!!

Becky said...

Just lovely. Gotta get me some metal tape. Think hubby'll fall for it if I tell him I have to have a Vagabond for this project? ha! probably not...

G Peplow said...

Gorgeous tag, thank you so much for sharing your tutorial. I'm off to get my metal out:0) xxx

Anonymous said...

Thats gorge! I love it, thanks for sharing.
nickipeex

Auntie Em said...

Your tag is gorgeous! Great tutorial.
Thank you for sharing! :)